Ryan and Megan's Albany II Itinerary
Satuday, December 12, 2009 - Monday, December 14, 2009
Howdy, folks! This trip wasn't supposed to happen. After we went to Wisconsin a few weeks ago, we were supposed to take a break from traveling until our big Las Vegas New Year's trip, but leave it up to Southwest to give us an offer we couldn't refuse. Seriously - this flight cost less for both of us than a typical flight to Connecticut for one of us. Of course, we still didn't plan anything until the last minute, but what else is new? We've been to the Adirondacks a couple times already, so this time we'll take a more southerly route. Oh, heck - just check out the itinerary below. And check out the new GPS feature - betcha you'll like it! =)
All times are local to
the particular city. All of this trip will take place in the Eastern Time Zone.
Emergency Contact Information:
Phone (Ryan's Cell):
Phone (Megan's Cell):
(will be checked as often as possible)
Once again, we will be bringing a webcam along with us for the ride. Signal will be sporadic and
reliant upon good power to the laptop, but whenever we can, we will try to pump new images to this page
every 20 seconds - no need to open a new window or refresh!
If the picture doesn't update, then we are out of signal. Just check back later.
*** OUTBOUND ***
Flight #1/1: Saturday, December 12, 2009 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 1403 (Baltimore to Albany)
DEPART Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 9:15 AM
ARRIVE Albany, NY (ALB) at 10:25 AM
*** INBOUND ***
Flight #1/1: Monday, December 14, 2009 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 504 (Albany to Baltimore)
DEPART Albany, NY (ALB) at 7:35 PM
ARRIVE Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 8:55 PM
Hotel: Night 1, December 12, 2009
Microtel Inn Albany Airport
7 Rensselaer Avenue
Latham, NY 12110
Room Type: Non-Smoking Room w/ 1 Queen Bed; Free WiFi; Hairdryer; Iron; Iron Board; Continental Breakfast
Hotel: Night 2, December 13, 2009
Microtel Inn & Suites Middletown
19 Crystal Run Crossing
Middletown, NY 10941
Room Type: Non-Smoking Room w/ 1 Queen Bed; Free WiFi; Coffee Maker; Hairdryer; Iron; Iron Board; Continental Breakfast
Car Rental: December 12 (10:30am) - December 14 (6:30pm)
Alamo Rent A Car
Albany County Arpt (ALBT71)
737 Albany Shaker Road
Latham, NY 12110
Car Type: Midsize (Pontiac G5 or Similar)
You can download a turn-by-turn itinerary with estimated times by clicking here.
Note: The numbers in the itinerary correspond to the map at the bottom. Italicized items are from the book 1,000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. For context, this section was written by Ryan.
Please note that times are ESTIMATES only to give you an idea of what our original plans were. We get distracted and detoured easily, so just check the webcam and/or GPS tracker to get an idea of where we really are.
Saturday, December 12
- 09:15am-10:25am - Southwest Flight to Albany
- 10:25am-11:00am - STOP  - Car Rental Pickup
- 11:00am-11:53am - DRIVING
- 11:53am-01:53pm - STOP  - Berkshire Summer Festivals; specifically the Norman Rockwell Museum
- 01:53pm-02:07pm - DRIVING
- 02:07pm-02:37pm - STOP  - Nirvana in the Berkshires; specifically, the Cranwell Resort
- 02:37pm-03:19pm - DRIVING
- 03:19pm-05:19pm - STOP  - MASS MoCA; specifically, the Massachusetts Museum of Contempoary Art
- 05:19pm-06:16pm - DRIVING
- 06:16pm-06:46pm - STOP  - The Orvis Company; includes the American Museum of Fly Fishing... I doubt we're spending much time there
- 06:46pm-07:27pm - DRIVING
- 07:27pm-07:57pm - STOP  - Monks of New Skete; it'll be as interesting as it sounds, especially in the dark.
- 07:57pm-08:43pm - DRIVING
- 08:43pm-09:13pm - STOP  - Saratoga Springs; we've seen enough race tracks, but here's one more we'll drive by at night.
- 09:13pm-09:38pm - DRIVING
- 09:38pm-end of the day - STOP  - Microtel Inn Albany Airport
Sunday, December 13
- 07:00am-08:06am - DRIVING
- 08:06am-11:19am - STOPS [9, 10, and 11] - The Catskills; including a ski area (9), Kaaterskill Falls (10), and Slide Mountain (11)
- 11:19am-12:30pm - DRIVING
- 12:30pm-01:00pm - STOP  - Rhinebeck; 'a storybook village just inland of the Hudson River'
- 01:00pm-01:13pm - DRIVING
- 01:13pm-02:13pm - STOP  - Great Estates of the Hudson Valley; specifically, Vanderbilt Mansion
- 02:13pm-02:17pm - DRIVING
- 02:17pm-04:17pm - STOP  - FDR's Springwood; specifically, Franklin D. Roosevelt's Presidential Library
- 04:17pm-04:21pm - DRIVING
- 04:21pm-05:06pm - STOP  - The Culinary Institute of America; we're getting hungry for dinner!
- 05:06pm-05:35pm - DRIVING
- 05:35pm-06:05pm - STOP  - Mohonk Mountain House; some place that looks like a castle on the Hudson River
- 06:05pm-06:45pm - DRIVING
- 06:45pm-07:15pm - STOP  - Hudson Valley Art Trail; it's late, so I doubt anything is even open, but we'll see
- 07:15pm-07:36pm - DRIVING
- 07:36pm-08:06pm - STOP  - U.S. Military Academy; checking out the nation's oldest service school at West Point
- 08:06pm-08:31pm - DRIVING
- 08:31pm-09:01pm - STOP  - Hudson Valley; Bear Mountain State Park... in the dark... there's never enough time in the winter!
- 09:01pm-09:39pm - DRIVING
- 09:39pm-end of the day - STOP  - Microtel Inn & Suites Middletown
Monday, December 14
- 08:00am-08:42am - DRIVING (or back to Bear Mountain State Park, if we feel like it in the morning)
- 08:42am-09:42am - STOP  - Bethel, New York, the home of Woodstock 1969
- 09:42am-11:57am - DRIVING
- 11:57am-03:57pm - STOP  - Cooperstown; including the Baseball Hall of Fame
- 03:57pm-05:23pm - DRIVING
- 05:23pm-07:35pm - STOP  - Flight Check-in at airport... and obviously we need to find something else to do to kill the time!
- 07:35pm-08:55pm - Assuming we don't get snowed in, we'll be back home at a semi-reasonable time!
Where you at?? We are never 100% on time to our destinations, so we've taken all the guesswork out of figuring out where we are by broadcasting our GPS location, courtesy of InstaMapper.com. Per their rules, you'll need to manually refresh this page to see our latest movements, but so long as we get cell phone signal, you'll be able to see where we are!
And if that's not good enough, we've still got our guesimated route highlighted below...
Just as before, these are some links where you might be able to track our flight. With all of these sites, be sure to hit refresh (F5) and click 'Retry' as applicable to view the latest information.