Ryan and Megan's Appalachian Itinerary
Thursday, November 10, 2011 - Monday, November 14, 2011
Howdy, folks! We are headed South to one of Southwest's newest airports - Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina. Back in June, Southwest had their regular amazing deals for the fall, so we decided to take advantage of them. This time, we're headed back to the southern Appalachians. We'll be crossing paths with past trips, including our Carolinas Trip, Half Cross Country Trip, and even one of our very first (undocumented) trips to the Smoky Mountains. But even with all that, there's little that will be repeated. Instead, we'll be zipping through 4 states with an aura of Christmas abounding! Yes, it's almost that time again!
All times are local to the particular city. All of this trip will take place in the Eastern Time Zone.
Emergency Contact Information:
Phone (Ryan's Cell):
Phone (Megan's Cell):
(will be checked as often as possible)
We'll be pumping images to this site whenever we can, but if the camera appears frozen for a while, it's likely that we just ran out of cell reception. There be mountains out there!
*** OUTBOUND ***
Nonstop Flight #1: Thursday, November 10, 2011 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 909 (Baltimore to Greenville)
DEPART Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 8:30 AM
ARRIVE Greenville, SC (GSP) at 10:05 AM
*** INBOUND ***
Nonstop Flight #1: Monday, November 14, 2011 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 692 (Greenville to Baltimore)
DEPART Greenville, SC (GSP) at 7:25 PM
ARRIVE Baltimore, MD (STL) at 8:55 PM
Hotel: Night 1, November 10, 2011
Best Western Mountain Lodge
1615 Tynecastle Highway
Banner Elk, NC 28604
Room Type: Non-Smoking, 2 Double Beds, Internet
Hotel: Night 2, November 11, 2011
Clarion Inn Dollywood Area
124 Waldens Main Street
Pigeon Forge, TN 37863
Room Type: Non-Smoking, 2 Queen Beds, Balcony, Microwave, Internet, Free Hot Breakfast
Hotel: Night 3, November 12, 2011
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chattanooga Downtown
407 Chestnut Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Room Type: Non-Smoking, 2 Queen Beds, Microwave, Refrigerator
Hotel: Night 4, November 13, 2011
Hampton Inn Franklin
244 Cunningham Road
Franklin, NC 28734
Room Type: Non-Smoking, 2 Queen Beds, Microwave, Refrigerator, Hot Breakfast
Car Rental: November 10 (10:00am) - November 14 (6:00pm)
Alamo Rent A Car
500 Aviation Drive, Suite 15
Greer, SC 29651
Car Type: Standard (Ford Fusion or similar)
You can check out a turn-by-turn itinerary with estimated times by clicking here.
Note: The numbers in the itinerary correspond to the map at the bottom. Italicized items are from the book 1,000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. For context, this section was written by Ryan.
Please note that times are ESTIMATES only to give you an idea of what our original plans were. We get distracted and detoured easily, so just check the webcam and/or GPS tracker to get an idea of where we really are.
Thursday, November 10
And we're off ! Considering we are flying into South Carolina, we aren't spending much time there. Instead, it's off to the mountains!
- 11:00am-11:51am - DRIVING
- 11:51am-12:21pm - STOP  - Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site
- 12:21pm-12:55pm - DRIVING
- 12:55pm-03:55pm - STOP  - Biltmore - We actually stopped by here on our Carolina trip, but due to a flat tire, we got here well after closing. If we feel like paying the $60 entrance fee, we'll take a tour this time. And, it'll be decorated for Christmas!
- 03:55pm-04:07pm - DRIVING
- 04:07pm-05:07pm - STOP  - Grove Park Inn - Another place we've been to, but this time, we'll see it during the daytime.
- 05:07pm-06:05pm - DRIVING
- 06:05pm-07:05pm - STOP  - Mount Mitchell
- 07:05pm-08:51pm - DRIVING
- 08:51pm-end of day - STOP  - Best Western Mountain Lodge
Friday, November 11
Fun in the mountains! Hopefully we'll be able to spend more time at our first two stops if we can get an earlier start on the day!
- 08:00am-08:13am - DRIVING
- 08:13am-09:13am - STOP  - Music in the Mountains - Or, more specifically, Grandfather Mountain
- 09:13am-09:33am - DRIVING
- 09:33am-10:18am - STOP  - Pisgah National Forest and Sugar Mountain
- 10:18am-11:53am - DRIVING
- 11:53am-12:23pm - STOP  - National Storytelling Festival - OK, that's not really happening while we are here, but it's the site of said event, which is one of the 1,000 things we're supposed to do before we die. Whoooo...
- 12:23pm-12:51pm - DRIVING
- 12:51pm-01:51pm - STOP  - Andrew Johnson National Historic Site - I think we were here on our Half-Cross Country Trip, but I can't remember, so we'll check it out, anyway.
- 01:51pm-03:23pm - DRIVING
- 03:23pm-08:23pm - STOP  - Dollywood - I've wanted to come here for a while, and although it's probably too cold for rides, we can at least see everything decorated for Christmas!
- 08:23pm-08:32pm - DRIVING
- 08:32pm-end of day - STOP  - Clarion Inn
Saturday, November 12
We'll spend the entire day in one state! A rarity!
- 08:00am-08:19am - DRIVING
- 08:19am-12:14pm - STOP [13, 14] - Smoky Mountains National Park - We've been here before, but it's still an awesome place.
- 12:14pm-12:58pm - DRIVING
- 12:58pm-01:43pm - STOP  - Blackberry Farm - No, we aren't going fruit picking, and we aren't getting new phones, but we will stop by this little inn. Too bad it's sold out, else we could have blown over $1,000 per night here!
- 01:43pm-02:59pm - DRIVING
- 02:59pm-04:59pm - STOP  - Museum of Appalachia - We might not have time for this one, but they close at 5pm, anyway.
- 04:59pm-06:33pm - DRIVING
- 06:33pm-07:33pm - STOP  - Minister's Tree House - Because God said it should be done. Google it.
- 07:33pm-09:31pm - DRIVING
- 09:31pm-end of day - STOP  - DoubleTree Hotel
Sunday, November 13
We'll drive through Georgia for most of today - incidentally, Alex's 16th state! Ryan was 23 years old before he hit 16 states...
- 08:00am-08:19am - DRIVING
- 08:19am-10:19am - STOP  - Rock City - After seeing countless advertising for it, we are finally going to "See Rock City".
- 10:19am-10:42am - DRIVING
- 10:42am-12:12pm - STOP  - Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park - Why not?
- 12:12pm-12:58pm - DRIVING
- 12:58pm-02:28pm - STOP  - Howard Finster's Paradise Gardens
- 02:28pm-04:34pm - DRIVING
- 04:34pm-05:34pm - STOP  - Amicalola Falls
- 05:34pm-06:26pm - DRIVING
- 06:26pm-06:56pm - STOP  - Cabbage Patch Kids Babyland - This is where those things were invented
- 06:56pm-07:29pm - DRIVING
- 07:29pm-08:29pm - STOP  - Tallulah Gorge - Hopefully we'll make up time 'cause 8pm is pretty dark to see a gorge...
- 08:29pm-09:10pm - DRIVING
- 09:10pm-end of day - STOP  - Hampton Inn - We've actually stayed here on Valentine's Day, 2009, so let's do it again!
Monday, November 14
Today is completely up in the air. If we can get up REALLY early, we'll have time to do the itinerary below. Otherwise, we'll just sleep in or try to find something to do around town until our flight home.
- 06:00am-06:24am - DRIVING - 6am? Seriously?
- 06:24am-06:54am - STOP  - High-Country Ramble and the town of Highlands
- 06:54am-07:08am - DRIVING
- 07:08am-07:38am - STOP  - High-Country Ramble and the town of Cashier
- 07:38am-08:28am - DRIVING
- 08:28am-09:13am - STOP  - Lake Jocassee
- 09:13am-09:59am - DRIVING
- 09:59am-10:44am - STOP  - Clemson University
- 10:44am-01:50pm - DRIVING
- 01:50pm-02:35pm - STOP  - Congaree Swamp National Monument
- 02:35pm-03:10pm - DRIVING
- 03:10pm-03:55pm - STOP  - Columbia, South Carolina
- 03:55pm-05:45pm - DRIVING
- 05:45pm-07:25pm - STOP  - Back at the airport for our 7:25pm flight home
Where you at?? We are never 100% on time to our destinations, so we've taken all the guesswork out of figuring out where we are by broadcasting our GPS location, courtesy of InstaMapper.com. Per their rules, you'll need to manually refresh this page to see our latest movements, but so long as we get cell phone signal, you'll be able to see where we are!
And if that's not good enough, we've still got our guesstimated route highlighted below...
Just as before, these are some links where you might be able to track our flight. With all of these sites, be sure to hit refresh (F5) and click 'Retry' as applicable to view the latest information.