Ryan and Megan's Georgia Itinerary
Saturday, March 24, 2012 - Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Howdy, folks! It's time to continue our trip-a-month adventure. This time around, we are headed to Georgia! Funny, when I told folks at work where we were going, they couldn't figure out why we are headed there. So, why Georgia? Well, I wish I had a better answer, but I don't... The first time we came here, it was for a conference via AirTran. Megan made the flight, but I didn't. I ended up getting down there many hours later via Delta on a self-paid, high-priced ticket. The second time we visited, my credit card number was stolen.
So, again, why Georgia? There's only one reason: Southwest started flying there last month and offered really good rates when booking early (early, as in August, 2011 early). So, here we go - into the world's busiest airport! I'm sure third time's a charm, right?
All times are local to the particular city. All of this trip will take place in the Eastern Time Zone, so we are in sync with our Eastern friends and family.
Emergency Contact Information:
Phone (Ryan's Cell):
Phone (Megan's Cell):
(will be checked as often as possible)
We'll be pumping images to this site whenever we feel like it, but if the camera appears frozen for a while, it's likely that we stopped someplace cool or are just too lazy to turn it on.
*** OUTBOUND ***
Nonstop Flight #1: Saturday, March 24, 2012 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 1880 (Baltimore to Atlanta)
DEPART Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 7:50 AM
ARRIVE Atlanta, GA (ATL) at 9:55 AM
POSITION - Ryan: A53, Megan: A54
*** INBOUND ***
Nonstop Flight #1: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 883 (Atlanta to Baltimore)
DEPART Atlanta, GA (ATL) at 7:40 PM
ARRIVE Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 9:25 PM
POSITION - Ryan: TBD, Megan: TBD
Hotel: Night 1, March 24, 2012
TownePlace Suites Columbus
4534 East Armour Road
Columbus, GA 31904
Room Type: Studio, 1 King, Sofabed, Fully-equipped kitchen, Continental breakfast
Hotel: Night 2, March 25, 2012
Fairfield Inn & Suites Tallahassee Central
2997 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee, FL 32301
Room Type: 2 Queen, Mini-Refrigerator/Microwave, Continental breakfast
Hotel: Night 3, March 26, 2012
Fairfield Inn & Suites Milledgeville
2631-A North Columbia Street
Milledgeville, GA 31061
Room Type: 2 Queen, Mini-Refrigerator/Microwave, Continental breakfast
Car Rental: March 24 (10:00am) - March 27 (6:30pm)
Alamo Rent A Car
2200 Rental Car Cntr Pkwy 2255
College Park, GA 30337
Car Type: Standard (Ford Fusion or similar)
You can check out a turn-by-turn itinerary with estimated times by clicking here.
Note: The numbers in the itinerary correspond to the map at the bottom. Italicized items are from the book 1,000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. For context, this section was written by Ryan.
Please note that times are ESTIMATES only to give you an idea of what our original plans were. We get distracted and detoured easily, so just check the webcam and/or GPS tracker to get an idea of where we really are.
Saturday, March 24
And we're off ! We better make our early-morning flight this time!
- 11:00am-11:12am - DRIVING
- 11:12am-11:57am - STOP  - Harold's Barbecue - It'll be just about lunchtime, so why not get some southern cookin'
- 11:57am-12:04pm - DRIVING
- 12:04pm-12:49pm - STOP  - Mary Mac's Tea Room - Just to check it off from our book... or, otherwise, we'll just spend this time driving around Atlanta
- 12:49pm-02:26pm - DRIVING
- 02:26pm-04:26pm - STOP  - Little White House
- 04:26pm-04:47pm - DRIVING
- 04:47pm-06:17pm - STOP  - Callaway Gardens - They close at 5, so this might end up just being time for dinner
- 06:17pm-06:49pm - DRIVING
- 06:49pm-end of day - STOP  - Some Marriott hotel chain - they are giving us 2,600 Southwest points per stay (instead of 600) through April, so we are taking major advantage of that
Sunday, March 25
We've already had enough of Georgia. We'll spend the day driving toward Florida!
- 07:30am-08:17am - DRIVING - Note the early start. Let's see if that will actually happen!
- 08:17am-09:47am - STOP  - Providence Canyon State Park
- 09:47am-10:30am - DRIVING
- 10:30am-12:00pm - STOP  - Jimmy Carter National Historic Site
- 12:00pm-12:33pm - DRIVING
- 12:33pm-02:03pm - STOP  - Andersonville National Historic Site
- 02:03pm-03:29pm - DRIVING
- 03:29pm-04:59pm - STOP  - Radium Springs
- 04:59pm-06:20pm - DRIVING
- 06:20pm-07:20pm - STOP  - Pebble Hill House and Plantation Country - More like a driveby, or dinner, since it's late
- 07:20pm-07:48pm - DRIVING
- 07:48pm-08:18pm - STOP  - Florida State Capitol - or we'll just get an early start and check it out in the morning
- 08:18pm-08:22pm - DRIVING
- 08:22pm-end of day - STOP  - Another Marriott - and our 10th this year, which means Silver Elite status, baby!
Monday, March 26
Not much time in Florida - just a long day of driving... along an interstate. Boo!
- 08:00am-11:01am - DRIVING, although I think we will have a later start if we visit the capitol and go to church
- 11:01am-12:31pm - STOP  - Okefenokee Swamp
- 12:31pm-05:04pm - DRIVING, seriously - almost 5 hours...
- 05:04pm-06:04pm - STOP  - Ocmulgee National Monument
- 06:04pm-06:13pm - DRIVING
- 06:13pm-07:13pm - STOP  - Macon - Whatever that is... but it's in the book
- 07:13pm-07:49pm - DRIVING
- 07:49pm-09:19pm - STOP  - Old Governor's Mansion, as part of the Antebellum Trail
- 09:19pm-09:20pm - DRIVING
- 09:20pm-end of day - STOP  - One final Marriott - for this trip, anyway
Tuesday, March 27
A much slower, more relaxing day... and then we go home!
- 08:00am-08:30am - DRIVING
- 08:30am-09:15am - STOP  - Continuing along the Antebellum Trail
- 09:15am-09:42am - DRIVING
- 09:42am-10:27am - STOP  - Madison
- 10:27am-10:42am - DRIVING
- 10:42am-11:17am - STOP  - The Caboose - Part of the Antiques Trail
- 11:17am-11:30am - DRIVING
- 11:30am-12:05pm - STOP  - Blue Willow - More of the Antiques Trail... or maybe we are just getting old
- 12:05pm-01:00pm - DRIVING
- 01:00pm-01:30pm - STOP  - We've been here before. It's too creepy to say what this is. ::cough::formerownersofourhouse::cough::
- 01:30pm-02:15pm - DRIVING
- 02:15pm-02:45pm - STOP  - Chattahoochee River Park
- 02:45pm-03:06pm - DRIVING
- 03:06pm-03:36pm - STOP  - Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
- 03:36pm-04:02pm - DRIVING
- 04:02pm-05:02pm - STOP  - High Museum of Art
- 05:02pm-05:18pm - DRIVING
- 05:18pm-end of day - STOP  - And it's already time to go home... see you next time - on the other side of the country!
Where you at?? We are never 100% on time to our destinations, so we've taken all the guesswork out of figuring out where we are by broadcasting our GPS location, courtesy of InstaMapper.com. Per their rules, you'll need to manually refresh this page to see our latest movements, but so long as we get cell phone signal, you'll be able to see where we are!
And if that's not good enough, we've still got our guesstimated route highlighted below...
Just as before, these are some links where you might be able to track our flight. With all of these sites, be sure to hit refresh (F5) and click 'Retry' as applicable to view the latest information.