Ryan and Megan's Gulf Coast Itinerary
Saturday, February 11, 2012 - Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Howdy, folks! Believe it or not, it's been 3 months since our last trip! Not to worry, though - this is the start of our trip-a-month club through September. But more about that in future itineraries! This time, we're headed down to N'awlins a week before Mardis Gras - no better place to take an 11-month old! But, knowing us, we won't stick around long. Instead, we'll add 4 more states to Alex's hit-list. It should be good times, if only it weren't so cold (down to the 40s-50s instead of the 60s-70s). Anyway, onward!
All times are local to the particular city. All of this trip will take place in the Central Time Zone, which is 1 hour behind our Eastern friends and family.
Emergency Contact Information:
Phone (Ryan's Cell):
Phone (Megan's Cell):
(will be checked as often as possible)
We'll be pumping images to this site whenever we feel like it, but if the camera appears frozen for a while, it's likely that we stopped someplace cool or are just too lazy to turn it on.
*** OUTBOUND ***
Flight #1: Saturday, February 11, 2012 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 310 (Baltimore to Birmingham)
DEPART Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 9:25 AM [9:25 AM, EDT]
ARRIVE Birmingham, AL (BHM) at 10:40 AM [11:40 AM, EDT]
POSITION - Ryan: A46, Megan: A47
Flight #2: Saturday, February 11, 2012 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 1511 (Birmingham to New Orleans)
DEPART Birmingham, AL (BHM) at 12:10 PM [1:10 PM, EDT]
ARRIVE New Orleans, LA (MSY) at 1:30 PM [2:30 PM, EDT]
POSITION - Ryan: A21, Megan: A22
*** INBOUND ***
Nonstop Flight #1: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 1997 (New Orleans to Baltimore)
DEPART New Orleans, LA (MSY) at 3:15 PM [4:15 PM, EDT]
ARRIVE Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 6:45 PM [6:45 PM, EDT]
POSITION - Ryan: TBD, Megan: TBD
Hotel: Night 1, February 11, 2012
Residence Inn New Orleans Covington/North Shore
101 Park Place Boulevard
Covington, LA 70433
Room Type: Non-Smoking, 1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Sofabed, Internet, Breakfast
Hotel: Night 2, February 12, 2012
Marriott's Legends Edge at Bay Point
4000 Marriott Drive
Panama City Beach, FL 32408
Room Type: 2 Bedroom Villa, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 1 King, Sofabeds: 2, Bathrooms: 2, Resort view
Hotel: Night 3, February 13, 2012
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hattiesburg
173 Thornhill Drive
Hattiesburg, MS 39402
Room Type: Non-Smoking, 1 King, Breakfast, Internet
Car Rental: February 11 (10:00am) - February 14 (6:00pm)
Alamo Rent A Car
225 East Airline Hwy Kenner
New Orleans, LA 70062
Car Type: Standard (Ford Fusion or similar)
You can check out a turn-by-turn itinerary with estimated times by clicking here.
Note: The numbers in the itinerary correspond to the map at the bottom. Italicized items are from the book 1,000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. For context, this section was written by Ryan.
Please note that times are ESTIMATES only to give you an idea of what our original plans were. We get distracted and detoured easily, so just check the webcam and/or GPS tracker to get an idea of where we really are.
Saturday, February 11
And we're off ! It'll be a long trip inbound, as we migrate through Birmingham, but we'll be there by early afternoon!
- 02:15pm-02:34pm - DRIVING
- 02:34pm-06:34pm - STOP  - If we time this right, we'll get here just in time for the Krewe of Pontchartrain Mardi Gras Parade
- 06:34pm-06:50pm - DRIVING
- 06:50pm-07:50pm - STOP  - Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve - The timing of this really depends on how much time we spend in New Orleans
- 07:50pm-08:42pm - DRIVING (Driving over Lake Pontchartrain Causeway - the world's longest continuous bridge over water)
- 08:42pm-end of day - STOP  - Residence Inn New Orleans Covington/North Shore - Seriously, that's it for the day
Sunday, February 12
This will be the most interesting day - driving all along the coast, using the same route as our half-cross country trip (albiet, backward)
- 08:00am-09:28am - DRIVING
- 09:28am-10:28am - STOP  - Biloxi, because we didn't get a chance to go here before
- 10:28am-11:28am - DRIVING
- 11:28am-12:28pm - STOP  - Bellingrath Gardens and Home - I hope this isn't one of those places we've already been to and forgotten about
- 12:28pm-02:17pm - DRIVING
- 02:17pm-03:17pm - STOP  - The AL-FL state line - plus some time built-in for our anticipated beachfront stopping
- 03:17pm-04:14pm - DRIVING
- 04:14pm-05:14pm - STOP  - Gulf Islands National Seashore
- 05:14pm-05:51pm - DRIVING
- 05:51pm-06:36pm - STOP  - Ocean City - Shouldn't this be Gulf City?
- 06:36pm-07:59pm - DRIVING
- 07:59pm-08:14pm - STOP  - Racoon River Campgroup - Not actually staying here, but reminiscing about our last trip here
- 08:14pm-08:31pm - DRIVING
- 08:31pm-end of day - STOP  - Marriott's Legends Edge at Bay Point - A really big room, so we'll try to take full advantage of it by sleeping late
Monday, February 13
We booked this trip weeks ago, which had us driving to Jackson, MS today, but a last-minute check of our plans noted that we were going to get to a destination well after closing (and others well before opening tomorrow), so we made some adjustments. We'll see how this goes!
- 10:07am-10:24am - DRIVING
- 10:24am-12:24pm - STOP  - Miller Park and depending on the temperature, general beach stuff
- 12:24pm-06:28pm - DRIVING (You are reading that right - 6 straight hours of driving... there are a couple "stops" around Mobile [14 & 15], which are alternate hotels we might swing by and stay at)
- 06:28pm-end of day - STOP  - Fairfield Inn & Suites Hattiesburg... yeah, we had to cut out a lot of fun stuff
Tuesday, February 14
Happy Valentine's Day! This day had to be re-planned, as well. We were going to see Vicksburg, MS, but it would have been a tight schedule to make our flight on time, so this is what's left of it.
- 08:00am-08:51am - DRIVING
- 08:51am-09:20am - STOP  - State line - there are only so many places where we can safely get a picture of Alex in front of a state sign!
- 09:20am-11:34am - DRIVING
- 11:34am-12:04pm - STOP  - The Louisiana state capitol building, assuming we spent the night in Hattiesburg - otherwise, this will be skipped
- 12:04pm-01:30pm - DRIVING
- 01:30pm-end of day - STOP  - Headed home! Sorry this trip wasn't as exciting for you!
Where you at?? We are never 100% on time to our destinations, so we've taken all the guesswork out of figuring out where we are by broadcasting our GPS location, courtesy of InstaMapper.com. Per their rules, you'll need to manually refresh this page to see our latest movements, but so long as we get cell phone signal, you'll be able to see where we are!
And if that's not good enough, we've still got our guesstimated route highlighted below...
Just as before, these are some links where you might be able to track our flight. With all of these sites, be sure to hit refresh (F5) and click 'Retry' as applicable to view the latest information.