Ryan and Megan's Kentucky Itinerary
Saturday, September 26, 2009 - Monday, September 28, 2009
Howdy, folks! Guess what? We're headed to Kentucky! Now, you might be thinking 'what in the world could possibly be interesting in Kentucky? Well, all I can say is that it's a shame that our flight leaves so late on Saturday and returns so early Monday. We really should have taken an extra day off, but when we booked this back in July, we didn't realize everything this state had to offer. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that several stops on this trip won't happen, either because we'll be too late or too early, but just take a gander at the itinerary, and you'll see what I mean. And we've reformatted it a bit, as well. Less talk and more specifics around our estimated arrival times so you can follow us a bit more precisely... for those of you who are into that sort of thing, anyway!
All times are local to
the particular city. Most of the trip will be in the Eastern Time Zone, with the exception of Mammoth Cave, which is in Central Time.
Emergency Contact Information:
Phone (Ryan's Cell):
Phone (Megan's Cell):
(will be checked as often as possible)
Once again, we will be bringing a webcam along with us for the ride. Signal will be sporadic and
reliant upon good power to the laptop, but whenever we can, we will try to pump new images to this page
every 20 seconds - no need to open a new window or refresh!
If the picture doesn't update, then we are out of signal. Just check back later.
*** OUTBOUND ***
Flight #1/1: Saturday, September 26, 2009 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 3197 (Baltimore to Louisville)
DEPART Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 10:35 AM
ARRIVE Louisville, KY (SDF) at 12:15 PM
*** INBOUND ***
Flight #1/1: Monday, September 28, 2009 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 729 (Louisville to Baltimore)
DEPART Louisville, KY (SDF) at 5:00 PM
ARRIVE Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 6:30 PM
Hotel: Night 1, September 26, 2009
Best Western Corbin Inn
2630 Cumberland Falls Highway
Corbin, KY 40701
Room Type: 1 King Bed, Non-Smoking, Upstairs, Microwave & Refrigerator
Hotel: Night 2, September 27, 2009
Best Western South
211 Lakeview Drive
Shepherdsville, KY 40165
Room Type: 1 King Bed, Non-Smoking, Hot Tub, Denny's Breakfast
Car Rental: September 26 (12:00pm) - September 28 (4:00pm)
Alamo Rent A Car
Louisville Intl Arpt
Louisville, KY 40209
Car Type: Compact (Nissan Versa or Similar)
Note: The numbers in the itinerary correspond to the map at the bottom. Hyperlinked items are from the book 1,000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. For context, this section was written by Ryan.
You can download a turn-by-turn itinerary with estimated times by clicking here.
Saturday, September 26
- 10:35am-12:15am - Southwest Flight to Kentucky, landing in Louisville in the rain
- 12:15pm-1:00pm - STOP  - Car Rental Pickup
- 1:00pm-2:18pm - DRIVING
- 2:18pm-2:48pm - STOP  - Harrodsburg & The Beaumont Inn, Kentucky's oldest family-operated inn. We're only going here because it's in our book.
- 2:48pm-3:00pm - DRIVING
- 3:00pm-3:30pm - STOP  - Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, a bunch of fields and orchards... again, just something our book tells us we have to do before we die.
- 3:30pm-3:59pm - DRIVING
- 3:59pm-4:29pm - STOP  - Bluegrass Country, a brief visit to Keeneland Race Course, just outside Lexington. I reckon it's still raining.
- 4:29pm-5:20pm - DRIVING
- 5:20pm-5:50pm - STOP  - Berea, an 'idyllic Appalachian arts and crafts center', according to our book. When do we start having fun, again?
- 5:50pm-6:32pm - DRIVING
- 6:32pm-9:32pm - STOP  - The Land of Colonel Sanders, and the World Chicken Festival! Here we go! Actually, I've been looking forward to this for a while, so I hope the rain starts to taper off a bit. When I told my CIO that I was going to this festival, he said, 'you need to get out more'. This is what I live for!!
- 9:32pm-9:53pm - DRIVING
- 9:53pm-end of the day - STOP  - Goodnight, y'all! We've got an early morning tomorrow!
Sunday, September 27
- 6:30am-6:52am - DRIVING
- 6:52am-7:52am - STOP  - Cumberland Gap & Daniel Boon Country, an escape to nature to see the Niagara of the South.
- 7:52am-10:21am - DRIVING (switch to Central Time)
- 9:21am(CDT)-11:21am(CDT) - STOP  - Mammoth Cave & National Corvette Museum, a couple places grouped together by our book for some unknown reason. We might not actually get to the Corvette Museum, but we'll definitely make it to the next stop.
- 11:21am(CDT)-12:17pm(CDT) - DRIVING
- 12:17pm(CDT)-3:17pm(CDT) - STOP  - Mammoth Cave & National Corvette Museum. The cave system is the world's largest. We were supposed to go here on our original half-cross country trip, but we just didn't have enough time, so we cut it out.
- 3:17pm(CDT)-5:34pm - DRIVING (swtich to Eastern Time)
- 5:34pm-7:34pm - STOP  - The Lincoln Trail, part 1. This is the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln. It must have meant a lot to him because he lived here until he was 2 years old.
- 7:34pm-8:36pm - DRIVING
- 8:36pm-9:06pm - STOP  - The Lincoln Trail, part 2. You can tell we planned this trip in the summer. By 9pm in late September, it's too dark to see jack squat. But, we'll check it out anyway... maybe.
- 9:06pm-9:35pm - DRIVING
- 9:35pm-10:05pm - STOP  - The Bourbon Trail, after a long day, it's time to get drunk... well, it would be if there were any bourbon distilleries still open at 10 at night on a Sunday.
- 10:05pm-10:32pm - DRIVING
- 10:32pm-end of the day - STOP  - Goodnight, y'all!
Monday, September 28
Happy Yom Kippur!
- 8:00am-8:12am - DRIVING
- 8:12am-10:12am - STOP  - Jim Bean's American Outpost. They don't open 'till 9am, so maybe we'll check out Fort Knox first. After that we'll get drunk.
- 10:12am-10:38am - DRIVING
- 10:38am-1:08pm - STOP  - Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory, as baseball fans, this will be one awesome stop!
- 1:08pm-1:14pm - DRIVING
- 1:14pm-2:14pm - STOP  - Old Louisville, or the Speed Art Museum.
- 2:14pm-2:20pm - DRIVING
- 2:20pm-3:50pm - STOP  - Kentucky Derby, or more accurately, Churchill Downs.
- 3:50pm-3:57pm - DRIVING
- 2:20pm-3:50pm - STOP  - We're headed home... and far too early! Thanks for following us!
Don't have time to read all the nonsense above? I don't blame you. Just check out the map below to see our guesstimated route.
Just as before, these are some links where you might be able to track our flight. With all of these sites, be sure to hit refresh (F5) and click 'Retry' as applicable to view the latest information.