Ryan and Megan's Maine Itinerary
Saturday, October 17, 2009 - Monday, October 19, 2009
Howdy, folks! It seems like we were just on a trip last weekend, but here we go again! This time, we're headed to one of Southwest Airlines' newest airports - Boston Logan. I have mixed feelings about this... not the trip, but the fact that Southwest flies to Logan. To help keep costs down, Southwest has always flown into smaller airports within the contenental US: Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami, Midway instead of O'Hare, Long Island instead of New York, Baltimore instead of Dulles, and Providence/Manchester instead of Boston. That's always been the montra of former CEO, Herb Kelleher. Now with Gary Kelly in charge, Southwest flies into Dulles, LaGuardia, and Logan. What's next? Newark and Atlanta? International flights? OK - I get that they must lose a bit of business by not linking into those heavy-hitting airports, but at least they've always kept costs ridiculously low, always made a profit, and always made flying a 'fun' experience. With their attention more geared to the buisness traveler, will they be able to keep that up? We'll see... so far, AirTran has been quite comparable to Southwest (and even cheaper in some cases) - and they've got WiFi! Be careful, Southwest! Anyway, where was I? Oh, yeah, we're taking another trip during another cold, rainy weekend. Check out our plans below.
All times are local to
the particular city. All of this trip will take place in the Eastern Time Zone.
Emergency Contact Information:
Phone (Ryan's Cell):
Phone (Megan's Cell):
(will be checked as often as possible)
Once again, we will be bringing a webcam along with us for the ride. Signal will be sporadic and
reliant upon good power to the laptop, but whenever we can, we will try to pump new images to this page
every 20 seconds - no need to open a new window or refresh!
If the picture doesn't update, then we are out of signal. Just check back later.
*** OUTBOUND ***
Flight #1/1: Saturday, October 17, 2009 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 1742 (Baltimore to Boston)
DEPART Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 9:45 AM
ARRIVE Boston, MA (BOS) at 11:05 AM
*** INBOUND ***
Flight #1/1: Monday, October 19, 2009 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 1013 (Boston to Baltimore)
DEPART Boston, MA (BOS) at 6:30 AM
ARRIVE Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 8:05 AM
Hotel: Night 1, October 17, 2009
Best Western Fort Knox Inn
64 Main Street
Bucksport, ME 04416
Room Type: N/S, 2 Double Beds, River View
Hotel: Night 2, October 18, 2009
Red Roof Inn, Boston - Saugus
Saugus, MA 01906
Room Type: N/S, 1 King Bed
Car Rental: October 17 (11:00am) - October 19 (5:30am)
Hertz Rent A Car
Boston Logan International Airport
207 Porter Street
Car Type: Compact (Ford Focus or Similar)
You can download a turn-by-turn itinerary with estimated times by clicking here.
Note: The numbers in the itinerary correspond to the map at the bottom. Italicized items are from the book 1,000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. For context, this section was written by Ryan.
Please note that times are ESTIMATES only to give you an idea of what our original plans were. We get distracted and detoured easily, so just check the webcam to get an idea of where we really are. Unless otherwise indicated, all times are in Eastern Daylight Time.
Saturday, October 17
- 09:45am-11:05am - Southwest Flight to Logan, landing in Boston in the rain (or snow??)
- 11:05am-11:45pm - STOP  - Car Rental Pickup
- 11:45am-12:43pm - DRIVING
- 12:43pm-01:13pm - STOP  - Portsmouth, specifically Annabelle's Ice Cream, one of New England's preeminent gourmet ice-cream purveyors
- 01:13pm-01:35pm - DRIVING
- 01:35pm-02:35pm - STOP  - Ogunquit, specifically Marginal Way, a walking path along the ocean coast
- 02:35pm-02:58pm - DRIVING
- 02:58pm-03:43pm - STOP  - The Kennebunks, specifically Kennebunk Beach, the quintessence of seaside Maine
- 03:43pm-04:37pm - DRIVING
- 04:37pm-04:49pm - STOP  - Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village, one of the smallest and most isolated of the Shaker villages; we aren't staying very long
- 04:49pm-05:35pm - DRIVING
- 05:35pm-06:45pm - STOP  - St. Joseph parish, the non-Shaker church that's more applicable to us
- 06:45pm-08:13pm - DRIVING
- 08:13pm-end of the day - STOP  - Best Western Fort Knox Inn, and probably dinner somewhere cool
Sunday, October 18
- 06:00am-06:49am - DRIVING
- 06:49am-07:19am - STOP  - WoodenBoat School, or not; It's in our book, so we'll drive by and then pretend to watch the sun rise from behind rain clouds
- 07:19am-07:41am - DRIVING
- 07:41am-08:11am - STOP  - Blue Hill, the tiny coastal village that is 'serene and charming'
- 08:11am-09:21am - DRIVING
- 09:21am-09:51am - STOP  - Schoodic Head, our first stop near Acadia National Park
- 09:51am-11:20am - DRIVING
- 11:20am-12:20pm - STOP  - Bar Harbor, but it might be too early for the bar...
- 12:20pm-12:59pm - DRIVING
- 12:59pm-01:59pm - STOP  - Acadia National Park, a national park Ryan hasn't been to
- 01:59pm-03:48pm - DRIVING
- 03:48pm-04:48pm - STOP  - The Towns of Penobscot Bay, one of Maine's premier summer destinations...
- 04:48pm-05:15pm - DRIVING
- 05:15pm-05:45pm - STOP  - The Farnsworth Museum, another place that's in our book that we probably won't have time to visit
- 05:45pm-06:28pm - DRIVING
- 06:28pm-07:28pm - STOP  - Red's Eats, we'll swing by, but it's already closed for the season; instead, this time will be used for dinner
- 07:28pm-08:03pm - DRIVING
- 08:03pm-08:33pm - STOP  - L.L. Bean, the place where Leon Leonwood Bean started in 1912
- 08:33pm-08:40pm - DRIVING
- 08:40pm-08:55pm - STOP  - Eartha, The world's largest revolving and rotating globe
- 08:55pm-10:31pm - DRIVING
- 10:31pm-end of the day - STOP  - Red Roof Inn, Boston - Saugus
Monday, October 19
- 05:00am-05:17am - DRIVING
- 05:17am-06:30am - STOP  - Flight Check-in at airport
- 06:30am-08:05am - We're headed off to work... and far too early in the morning! Thanks for following us!
Don't have time to read all the nonsense above? I don't blame you. Just check out the map below to see our guesstimated route.
Just as before, these are some links where you might be able to track our flight. With all of these sites, be sure to hit refresh (F5) and click 'Retry' as applicable to view the latest information.