Ryan and Megan's Northern California II Itinerary
Saturday, July 3, 2010 - Sunday, July 11, 2010
Howdy, folks! This has been one busy start to the summer for us work-wise, espeically after taking off for an entire week to go to Texas in the beginning of June. But, now that we are just starting to catch up, we're taking another week off! Yes, we do feel a bit guilty, but we did plan this back in December. This time around, we're headed BACK to northern California - and repeating several of our favorite destinations. Last time, our trip took place in Spring, and we had sun in San Francisco, rain in the Redwoods, snow at Crater Lake, and dense fog at Yosemite. Hoping for a little bit of a change, we're going to check out all those destinations once again, plus a few other interesting places - hopefully!
All times are local to the particular city. All of this trip will take place in the Pacific Time Zone (add 3 hours for Eastern Time).
Emergency Contact Information:
Phone (Ryan's Cell):
Phone (Megan's Cell):
(will be checked as often as possible)
Once again, we will be bringing a couple webcams along with us for the ride. There's a lot of mountains and valleys on this trip, so it's quite possible that there will be no webcam captures (or GPS updates) for hours at a time, but whenever we can, we will try to pump new images to this page every 20 seconds - no need to open a new window or refresh!
If the picture doesn't update, then we are out of signal or not driving. Just check back later. You can start worrying when it's been over 24 hours without an update. :)
*** OUTBOUND ***
Flight 1 of 2: Saturday, July 3, 2010 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 2597 (Baltimore to Chicago)
DEPART Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 7:45 AM
ARRIVE Chicago, IL (MDW) at 8:45 AM [9:45 AM EDT]
Flight 2 of 2: Saturday, July 3, 2010 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 3006 (Chicago to Sacramento)
DEPART Chicago, IL (MDW) at 9:20 AM [10:20 AM EDT]
ARRIVE Sacramento, CA (SMF) at 11:50 AM [2:50 PM EDT]
*** INBOUND ***
Nonstop Flight: Sunday, July 11, 2010 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 3416 (Sacramento to Phoenix)
DEPART Sacramento, CA (SMF) at 11:00 AM [2:00 PM EDT]
ARRIVE Phoenix, AZ (PHX) at 12:50 PM [3:50 PM EDT]
Nonstop Flight: Sunday, July 11, 2010 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 260 (Phoenix to Baltimore)
DEPART Phoenix, AZ (PHX) at 1:35 PM [4:35 PM EDT]
ARRIVE Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 9:00 PM
Hotel: Night 1, July 3, 2010
Super 8 Yreka
136 Montague Rd.
Yreka, CA 96097
Room Type: 1 King, No Smoking, Microwave/Fridge, Coffee, Free Wireless High Speed Internet Access
Hotel: Night 2, July 4, 2010
Best Western Prineville Inn
1475 NE 3rd St.
Prineville, OR 97754
Room Type: Suite-1 King Bed, No Smoking, Business Class, Living Room, Microwave And Refrigerator, High Speed
Internet Access, Continental Breakfast
Hotel: Night 3, July 5, 2010
Homestead Studio Suites - Portland - Tigard
13009 S.W. 68th Pkwy.
Tigard, OR 97223
Room Type: Studio Suite 1 Queen Bed
Hotel: Night 4, July 6, 2010
2014 4th St.
Eureka, CA 95501
Room Type: 1 King Bed, No Smoking, Sofabed, Free High-Speed Internet, Microwave and Refrigerator, HBO, Hair Dryer
Hotel: Night 5, July 7, 2010
North Bay Inn
855 Francisco Blvd. E
San Rafael, CA 94901
Room Type: Standard Room... hmmm
Hotel: Night 6, July 8, 2010
Best Western Inn of Hayward
360 W A St.
Hayward, CA 94541
Room Type: 1 King Bed, No Smoking, High Speed Internet Access, Microwave And Refrigerator, Coffee Maker, Full Breakfast
Hotel: Night 7, July 9, 2010
Holiday Inn Express - Merced
151 South Parsons Ave.
Merced, CA 95341
Room Type: 1 Standard King Bed, No Smoking
Hotel: Night 8, July 10, 2010
Holiday Inn Express - Sacramento Ne Cal Expo
2224 Auburn Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95821
Room Type: 1 Standard King Bed, No Smoking
Car Rental: July 3 (12:00pm) - July 11 (10:00am)
Alamo Rent A Car
6320 Mcnair Circle
Sacramento, CA 95837
Car Type: Fullsize (Chevrolet Impala or similar)
You can check out a turn-by-turn itinerary with estimated times by clicking here.
Note: The numbers in the itinerary correspond to the map at the bottom. Italicized items are from the book 1,000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. For context, this section was written by Megan (in a moving vehicle).
Please note that times are ESTIMATES only to give you an idea of what our original plans were. We get distracted and detoured easily, so just check the webcam and/or GPS tracker to get an idea of where we really are. ALL TIMES ARE LOCAL TO THE AREA (Add 1 hour to CDT for EDT).
Saturday, July 3
- 04:45am-11:50am - Southwest Flight to Sacramento
- 11:50am-01:00pm - STOP  - Car Rental Pickup
- 01:00pm-03:34pm - DRIVING
- 03:34pm-06:50pm - STOP [2, 3] - Lassen Volcanic National Park
- 06:50pm-07:54pm - DRIVING
- 07:54pm-08:54pm - STOP  - Whiskeytown
- 08:54pm-09:54pm - DRIVING
- 09:54pm-10:09pm - STOP  - Mount Shasta, Castle Crags State Park, but hopefully we'll make it there earlier
- 10:09pm-11:00pm - DRIVING
- 11:00pm-end of day - STOP  - Super 8 Motel
Sunday, July 4
- 07:15am-07:54am - DRIVING
- 07:54am-08:09am - STOP  - Oregon Shakespeare Festival; or at least the place where the festival takes place
- 08:09am-08:28am - DRIVING
- 08:28am-09:33am - STOP [X] - Sacred Heart Church in Medford for Mass
- 09:33am-09:43am - DRIVING
- 09:43pm-10:21am - STOP  - Jacksonville and the Britt Festivals; or more like the Museum of Southern Oregon History! How exciting! We might just bail on this one...
- 10:21am-10:46am - DRIVING
- 10:46am-11:31am - STOP  - The Rogue River; but we'll probably end up just watching the rapids instead of riding them...
- 11:31am-11:48am - DRIVING
- 11:48am-12:48am - STOP  - The Oregon Vortex; rather than try to explain this, just Google it!
- 12:48pm-02:47pm - DRIVING
- 02:47am-06:47pm - STOP  - Crater Lake National Park; and it won't be snowing this time! Well, at least that's what we hope...
- 06:47pm-08:46pm - DRIVING
- 08:46pm-10:16pm - STOP  - Ben & Mount Bachelor; and the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. We probably will get here earlier and leave before sundown so we can catch some fireworks in a nearby town at 10pm.
- 10:16pm-11:30pm - DRIVING
- 11:30pm-end of day - STOP  - Best Western Prineville Inn
Monday, July 5
- 08:00am-09:02pm - DRIVING
- 09:02am-10:32am - STOP  - John Day Fossil Beds National Monument
- 10:32am-01:31pm - DRIVING
- 01:31pm-04:31pm - STOP  - Mount Hood; I can't believe we missed this the last time we were in the area
- 04:31pm-05:56pm - DRIVING
- 05:56pm-07:26pm - STOP  - The Columbia River Gorge; or more specifically, Multnomah Falls
- 07:26pm-08:02pm - DRIVING
- 08:02pm-08:17pm - STOP  - Oregon Brewers Festival; but since it's the wrong time of year for that, we'll just go to Nick's Famous Coney Island for some hot dogs - it is the 4th of July weekend!
- 08:17pm-08:33pm - DRIVING
- 08:33pm-09:03pm - STOP  - Portland's Public Gardens; and the international rose garden test... hopefully we'll actually arrive before it's dark!
- 09:03pm-09:23pm - DRIVING
- 09:23pm-09:38pm - STOP  - Fort Vancouver National Historic Site
- 09:38pm-10:03pm - DRIVING
- 10:03pm-end of day - STOP  - Homestead Studio Suites - Portland - Tigard
Tuesday, July 6
- 08:00am-08:29pm - DRIVING
- 08:29am-9:14am - STOP  - Willamette Valley; although I think it's a little early to get drunk off wine. Besides, that's what tomorrow is for!
- 09:14am-11:03am - DRIVING
- 11:03am-11:33am - STOP  - Salishan Spa and Golf Resort; our book tells us to go here, so we'll just drive by and pretend we're going to the spa
- 11:33am-12:04pm - DRIVING
- 12:04pm-12:24pm - STOP  - The Oregon Coast; and South Beach State Park
- 12:24pm-12:58pm - DRIVING
- 12:58pm-01:18pm - STOP  - Neptune State Park
- 01:18pm-01:35pm - DRIVING
- 01:35pm-02:20pm - STOP  - Heceta Head Lighthouse
- 02:20pm-03:23pm - DRIVING
- 03:23pm-03:53pm - STOP  - Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
- 03:53pm-04:42pm - DRIVING
- 04:42pm-05:02pm - STOP  - Bandon Dunes Golf Resort; Ha! Like, as-if! That's why it's a 15-minute stop
- 05:02pm-10:12pm - DRIVING, with stops along the coast, including Cape Blanco State Park , Humbug Mountain State Park , Otter Point State Wayside , and Pistol River State Park . I think we need a state park pass! And let's hope the coastal fog lifts!
- 10:12pm-end of day - STOP  - Rodeway Inn, near the hotel we stayed at the last time we spent the night in Eureka.
Wednesday, July 7
- 07:30am-10:03am - DRIVING
- 10:03am-10:33am - STOP  - Mendocino; MacCallum House Inn
- 10:33am-11:56am - DRIVING
- 11:56am-02:50pm - STOP [34, 35] - Hot Springs of Northern California; Either Vichy Springs Resort  or Harbin Hot Springs ... as if we had time for either!
- 02:50pm-03:39pm - DRIVING
- 03:39pm-05:30pm - STOP  - Napa Valley; We need to get here in time for a 4pm tour of Robert Mondavi Winery
- 05:30pm-05:35pm - DRIVING
- 05:35pm-05:45pm - STOP  - French Laundry; Why does our '1,000' book recommend places like this? It's a restaurant with a fixed price menu of $250/pp!! Thanks, but we'll do Applebees instead.
- 05:45pm-06:29pm - DRIVING
- 06:29pm-06:44pm - STOP  - Sonoma County; and Jack London State Park
- 06:44pm-08:24pm - DRIVING
- 08:24pm-09:24pm - STOP  - Point Reyes National Seashore; It will be a mad rush to get here by sunset.
- 09:24pm-10:37pm - DRIVING
- 10:37pm-end of day - STOP  - North Bay Inn
Thursday, July 8
- 08:00am-08:20am - DRIVING
- 08:20am-08:40am - STOP  - Muir Woods National Monument
- 08:40am-09:02am - DRIVING
- 09:02am-09:32am - STOP  - Fort Point, just beside the Golden Gate Bridge
- 09:32am-09:44am - DRIVING
- 09:44am-11:29am - STOP  - San Francisco's Art Museums; De Young Memorial Museum
- 11:29am-11:34am - DRIVING
- 11:34am-12:54pm - STOP  - San Francisco's Best Asian Restaurants; La Vie Vietnamese Restaurant for lunch
- 12:54pm-01:06pm - DRIVING
- 01:06pm-02:36pm - STOP  - San Francisco's Finest Restaurants; Gary Danko, which we'll probably save for later in the day. So why is it on here at 1? To confuse you!
- 02:36pm-02:38pm - DRIVING
- 02:38pm-02:53pm - STOP  - San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park and the Hyde Street Pier
- 02:53pm-02:58pm - DRIVING
- 02:58pm-03:43pm - STOP  - San Francisco's Great Neighborhoods; Washington Square
- 03:43pm-03:47pm - DRIVING
- 03:47pm-05:47pm - STOP  - SFMOMA, aka Art!
- 05:47pm-05:50pm - DRIVING
- 05:50pm-06:50pm - STOP  - The San Francisco Ferry Building
- 06:50pm-06:54pm - DRIVING
- 06:54pm-07:24pm - STOP  - AT&T Park; More of a drive-by, actually. The Giants are out of town, but the A's are around... hmmm...
- 07:24pm-07:50pm - DRIVING
- 07:50pm-end of day - STOP  - Possibly a baseball game in Oakland, then it's off to our hotel: Best Western Inn of Hayward
Friday, July 9
- 08:00am-08:23am - DRIVING
- 08:23am-09:08am - STOP  - Berkeley & Chez Panisse; Chez Panisse Cafe
- 09:08am-09:21am - DRIVING
- 09:21am-09:41am - STOP  - Rosie the Riveter
- 09:41am-10:03am - DRIVING
- 10:03am-10:23am - STOP  - John Muir National Historic Site
- 10:23am-10:50am - DRIVING
- 10:50am-12:05pm - STOP  - Jelly Belly Candy Company Tour
- 12:05pm-12:43pm - DRIVING
- 12:43pm-01:03pm - STOP  - Port Chicago Naval MagaZine; more of a drive-by
- 01:03pm-01:33pm - DRIVING
- 01:33pm-01:53pm - STOP  - Eugene O'Neill National Historic Park
- 01:53pm-03:00pm - DRIVING
- 03:00pm-03:45pm - STOP  - Pillar Point to check out the surf
- 03:45pm-04:52pm - DRIVING
- 04:52pm-05:52pm - STOP  - Santa Cruz
- 05:52pm-06:45pm - DRIVING
- 06:45pm-07:05pm - STOP  - Pebble Beach; we missed the honorable Tiger Woods by only a couple weeks...
- 07:05pm-09:13pm - DRIVING
- 09:13pm-end of day - STOP  - Holiday Inn Express
Saturday, July 10
- 06:00am-07:45am - DRIVING, yes, we're going to attempt to leave at 6am!!
- 07:45am-11:45am - STOP  - Yosemite National Park! Hopefully we'll actually be able to see stuff this time instead of everything being covered in snow and fog
- 11:45am-02:19pm - DRIVING
- 02:19pm-04:19pm - STOP  - Devils Postpile National Monument
- 04:19pm-08:19pm - DRIVING, and possibly a stop at Lake Tahoe
- 08:19pm-09:49pm - STOP  - Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, the start of the '49 gold rush
- 09:49pm-09:52pm - DRIVING
- 09:52am-10:52pm - STOP  - California White Water; although I think it's a little late to go rafting...
- 10:52pm-11:40pm - DRIVING
- 11:40pm-end of day - STOP  - Holiday Inn Express
Sunday, July 11
- 08:00am-08:10am - DRIVING
- 08:10am-09:10am - STOP  - Stopping by the state capitol building to wish Arnold all the best in his last year in office
- 09:10am-11:00am - DRIVING, Church, Dropping off car, Checking into flight, etc.
- 11:00am-06:00pm - STOP  - Flight back home! Whew!
Where you at?? We are never 100% on time to our destinations, so we've taken all the guesswork out of figuring out where we are by broadcasting our GPS location, courtesy of InstaMapper.com. Per their rules, you'll need to manually refresh this page to see our latest movements, but so long as we get cell phone signal, you'll be able to see where we are!
And if that's not good enough, we've still got our guesimated route highlighted below...
Just as before, these are some links where you might be able to track our flight. With all of these sites, be sure to hit refresh (F5) and click 'Retry' as applicable to view the latest information.