Ryan and Megan's Wisconsin Itinerary
Satuday, November 7, 2009 - Sunday, November 8, 2009
Howdy, folks! Well this should be interesting! Oftentimes, I wait until the last minute to update the web site with our trip plans, and this is no exception. However, this time around, even the plans for the trip itself weren't made until the last minute, either - less than 8 hours before we leave, no less! So, why Wisconsin? We've been drunk at the Miller Brewing Company (me twice), we've gone ATV-ing through the middle of the state, and we've cris-crossed the state a couple times already. This was purely a case of being obsessed with Southwest's low fares. We booked this $39 flight back in June when SWA first announced that they were planning on flying into Milwaukee (they just started this month). My first thought was that we could drive up to Lake Superior in Michigan, but that was dashed a couple hours ago when I realized that it would take 7 hours to get there - one way! That's a bit far for a 2-day trip, even for us. So, after consulting with our 1,000 Places to See book, we decided to stick to Wisconsin. I'm sure we'll still find fun stuff abounding - we always do!
All times are local to
the particular city. All of this trip will take place in the Central Time Zone, a 1 hour difference from Eastern Time.
Emergency Contact Information:
Phone (Ryan's Cell):
Phone (Megan's Cell):
(will be checked as often as possible)
Once again, we will be bringing a webcam along with us for the ride. Signal will be sporadic and
reliant upon good power to the laptop, but whenever we can, we will try to pump new images to this page
every 20 seconds - no need to open a new window or refresh!
If the picture doesn't update, then we are out of signal. Just check back later.
*** OUTBOUND ***
Flight #1/1: Saturday, November 7, 2009 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 1156 (Baltimore to Milwaukee)
DEPART Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 7:50 AM
ARRIVE Milwaukee, WI (MKE) at 9:00 AM [10:00 AM EST]
*** INBOUND ***
Flight #1/1: Sunday, November 8, 2009 -
Southwest Airlines - Flight 126 (Milwaukee to Baltimore)
DEPART Milwaukee, WI (MKE) at 7:40 PM [8:40 PM EST]
ARRIVE Baltimore, MD (BWI) at 10:40 PM
Hotel: Night 1, November 7, 2009
Candlewood Suites Appleton
4525 West College Avenue
Appleton, WI 54914
Room Type: N/S, 1 Queen, Studio Suite
Car Rental: November 7 (9:00am) - November 8 (7:00pm)
Alamo Rent A Car
Milwaukee Airport (MKET71)
5300 S Howell Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53207
Car Type: Intermediate (Pontiac G5 or Similar)
You can download a turn-by-turn itinerary with estimated times by clicking here.
Note: The numbers in the itinerary correspond to the map at the bottom. Italicized items are from the book 1,000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. For context, this section was written by Ryan.
Please note that times are ESTIMATES only to give you an idea of what our original plans were. We get distracted and detoured easily, so just check the webcam to get an idea of where we really are. Unless otherwise indicated, all times are in Central Daylight Time.
Saturday, November 7
- 06:50am-09:00am - Southwest Flight to Milwaukee
- 09:00am-09:45pm - STOP  - Car Rental Pickup
- 09:45am-11:09am - DRIVING
- 11:09am-11:54am - STOP  - The Dane County Farmers' Market; for some reason, our book seems obsessed with Farmers' Markets, so now we're off to another one...
- 11:54am-12:48pm - DRIVING
- 12:48pm-01:33pm - STOP  - Taliesin; specifically, Frank Lloyd Wright's Hillside Home; our book seems obsessed with him, too...
- 01:33pm-02:56pm - DRIVING
- 02:56pm-04:26pm - STOP  - The Driftless Area; specifically, Wildcat Mountain; I have a feeling we'll be running ahead of schedule after this stop.
- 04:26pm-05:30pm - DRIVING
- 05:30pm-06:15pm - STOP  - Wisconsin Dells; includes the nation's largest indoor waterpark (among 20+ others)... we just did something like this for free at Massanutten, so we'll see...
- 06:15pm-06:36pm - DRIVING
- 06:36pm-07:36pm - STOP  - Circus World Museum; the original site for the Ringling Bros. Circus until 1918.
- 07:36pm-09:25pm - DRIVING
- 09:25pm-09:55pm - STOP  - EAA AirVenture; the site of some air show in July... it's in our book and it's on the way to our hotel, so we'll just drive by.
- 09:55pm-10:20pm - DRIVING
- 10:20pm-end of the day - STOP  - Candlewood Suites Appleton, and dinner at some place that sounds like the name of this town
Sunday, November 8
- 07:00am-07:33am - DRIVING
- 07:33am-08:18am - STOP  - Lambeau Field, the home of the Green Bay Packers
- 08:18am-10:04am - DRIVING
- 10:04am-12:04pm - STOP  - Door County; including part of a 75-mile long peninsula, which has 'bucolic charm'
- 12:04pm-02:33pm - DRIVING
- 02:33pm-03:33pm - STOP  - The American Club; a resort and spa around a plumbing factory
- 03:33pm-04:32pm - DRIVING
- 04:32pm-07:40pm - STOP  - Flight Check-in at airport... and obviously we need to find something else to do to kill the time!
- 07:40pm-09:40pm - And we'll be back home just before midnight, local time... it's better than a Monday morning flight!
Don't have time to read all the nonsense above? I don't blame you. Just check out the map below to see our guesstimated route.
Just as before, these are some links where you might be able to track our flight. With all of these sites, be sure to hit refresh (F5) and click 'Retry' as applicable to view the latest information.